January 30, 2017

"On the Night You Were Born..."

I really just cannot believe how fast time has gone. As of next Sunday (yes, Superbowl Sunday), I will have a one year old. How did that happen?! So, for this Mom Monday post, I want to go tell the story of how my little one came to be.

It all started when I went to my 36 week appointment to check up on things. At this point, I was so tired of being pregnant and everything that went along with it. My feet hurt, my back hurt, I hadn't slept in 3 months, and all I wanted was an ice cold beer. So much to my dismay, I was told at my appointment that I wasn't even dilated, and would most likely go all the way up to my due date, if not maybe a little later.  After leaving my appointment, Tim and I went to grab lunch. I remember sitting down in the booth before the waitress came over, and I started bawling my eyes out because I just didn't want to be pregnant anymore and I wanted to see my baby.

The next day we had a huge snow storm. If I remember correctly, at least 9-10 inches of snow on the ground, so I was working from home for the day. After lunch, I started feeling my first Braxton Hicks contractions. They were annoying, but nothing crazy. Basically just felt like an upset stomach or some gas pains. Later that night, the snow had stopped. Around 8:30pm, I sat down to watch a movie with the ginger snaps my mother-in-law had sent over for me, she thought they might help move my labor up (apparently some old wives tale). The contractions started to feel stronger. I decided to start timing them, just in case. I remember thinking it was way too early, but in case something was wrong I should check. They varied. Fifteen minutes between one set, 6 between another, maybe 20 between another set. I brushed them off as normal pregnancy happenings since they didn't seem to be getting worse from there.

I decided to try and walk off the contractions thinking maybe if I got up and moved they'd go away. I stood up from the recliner, walked toward the bathroom and what do you know...POP, SMASH! Yup. That big, dramatic water breaking moment that supposedly only happens in the movies. It happened to me. All over my dining room and bathroom floor to be exact. So as I'm trying to clean up the mess, my friggen two cats are walking around, smelling the wet floor trying to figure out what it was.

I remember being scared. I was home alone, Tim was just about to get out of work and I was about to bombard him and let him know we were about to have a baby. I called my doctor, who wasn't available. His associate called me back, and non-chelantly said he'd meet me at the hospital. In that moment, I was happy I was over-prepared for everything. The car seat was already in my car, my hospital bag was already packed, and I gathered our last minute things before leaving. I called my in-laws (they live around the corner) to come pick me up. The contractions began to get really strong and really close together, at this point they were 2 minutes apart. Twenty minutes had past and my in laws still were not here to pick me up. After 30 minutes, they finally showed up and we rushed to the hospital, which is 45 minutes away. But not before stopping to get gas on the way. At that point, I really wasn't sure if we'd make it to the hospital. My contractions were so close together I started to get really nervous. I focused on breathing and just told myself it would be okay.

Tim met us at the hospital after work and I was admitted immediately following a really rude and unnecessary list of questions from some crotchety old nurse about why I hadn't attended a birthing class 4 weeks prior to my due date. As I lay in the delivery room, I was already minutes away from being ready to push, but the doctor wasn't there yet. We started pushing before he got there. I'll spare you the details, but about 20-30 minutes later, we had a gorgeous and sweet baby boy arrive at 11:49 pm, two hours and 49 minutes after my water broke. He was a fighter. He was ready to get out, so he just did it. I was able to hold him for a short while before they took him from me to sit under the warmers. Since he was early, he had a hard time keeping his body temperature steady. He was a bit jaundice, but they suspected that would go away shortly.

A couple hours later, we were allowed to finally go to our own room with our little boy. As I finally got into bed, the nurses decided to take Cooper back to the NICU, as his body temp still kept falling.

From there, the next 11 days were almost unbearable. It was a roller coaster of emotions. Highs and lows every day. Cooper's body temp became normal, but then he developed an apnea issue and had to go a steady 4 days without any episodes before he could go home. He also still had abnormal jaundice levels that we had to monitor. I tried to power through it as best as I knew how. Somehow our hospital room because our new, temporary home. Coming home to shower and get clean clothes every couple days just felt wrong and awkward without our baby by our sides. We spent Superbowl Sunday & Valentine's Day in the hospital before we were finally allowed to take Cooper home. I think the day we got to go home with him was probably the best day of my life. We had a healthy, tiny little human to add to our family now.

Over the last year I've seen Cooper grow from a baby in the hospital to a true little boy with this huge personality. He has a way of making me put everything into perspective. He reminds me of what's truly important, who matters in the greater scheme of life, and gives me a purpose to life. One of the biggest things he has taught me is what I am capable of doing. He inspires me to reach for greatness, to achieve the impossible, and to just be an all around better person. If you asked me who I was before I met my son, I'd tell you I don't know that person. Because I don't. I don't want to know any life before there was him.

Happy Birthday, Cooper. You are so unbelievably loved, and you are forever going to be my little fighter. You embody strength and greatness and I know you will continue to amaze me as you grow up.


  1. Such a sweet post!! He is too cute... Enjoy every moment because it goes so fast! :)

    Brittany :)

    1. Thank you! It really does. I can't even believe it's been a year.